Gilbert Gordon, Principal
Gilbert Gordon is Distinguished Research Professor Emeritus at Miami University of Ohio, where he was the Volwiler Distinguished Research Professor of Chemistry, taught and has conducted research for more than thirty-five years. Professor Gordon is known internationally for his leadership in drinking water research, including his groundbreaking work on dynamics of chemical reactions, reactions of chlorine dioxide, chlorine and ozone and associated analytical chemistry. In connection with this work, he co-edited the definitive, 800-page review "Disinfectant Residual Measurement Methods" used by drinking water utilities in the United States, Canada and Europe. He is a member of national and international committees, including the Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater committees on Ozone, Chlorine Dioxide and Total Oxidants.
Professor Gordon is a trustee and past President of the International Ozone Association (IOA). He also has served as a member of the Disinfectant/ Disinfection By-Products (D/DBP) Technical Advisory Workgroup for the American Water Works Association (AWWA). He is the author of more than 200 peer-reviewed scientific publications, many of which involve groundbreaking research on oxy-halogen chemistry. He has received a number of awards in recognition of his work, including the IOA Morton J. Kleinberg Medal of Excellence (2011), the American Chemical Society, Cincinnati Section’s Chemist of the Year (1981), and the Miami University Benjamin Harrison Medallion Award for outstanding national and international contributions to education and research. Professor Gordon is a graduate of Bradley University (BS) and Michigan State University (Ph.D.). He did postdoctoral work with Professor Henry Taube at the University of Chicago.
- Pisarenko, A.N., Stanford, B.D., Quinones, O., Pacey, G.E., Gordon, G., Snyder, S.A., “Rapid Analysis of Perchlorate, Chlorate, and Bromate Ions in Concentrated Sodium Hypochlorite Solutions”, Anal. Chim. Acta, 2010, 659(1-2), 216-223.
- Pepich, BV; Dattilio, TA; Fair, PS ; Munch, DJ; Gordon, G; and Kortvelyesi, Z, "An improved colorimetric method for chlorine dioxide and chlorite ion in drinking water using lissamine green B and horseradish peroxidase", Analytica chimica acta, 2007, 596 (1), 37-45.
- Gordon, G. and Rosenblatt, A. "Chlorine Dioxide: The Current State of the Art", Ozone Science and Engineering, 2005, 27, 203-207.
- Gordon, G. "Chlorine Dioxide Generation Impurities and By-Products -- Is All Chlorine Dioxide Created Equal?" J. Am. Water Works Assoc., 93 (4), 163-173, 2001.
- Gordon, G. "Environmentally Friendly Methods of Water Disinfection: The Chemistry of Alternative Disinfectants", Progress in Nuclear Energy Journal (Global Environment & Nuclear Energy Systems - 3 International Symposium), Tokyo, H. Ninokata and T. Sawada, Editors, 2000, 37, 37-41.
- Fabian, I.; Gordon, G. "The Kinetics and Mechanism of the Chlorine Dioxide-Iodide Ion Reaction", Inorg. Chem., 1997, 36, 2494-2497.
- Adam, L; Gordon, G. "The Direct and Sequential Potentiometric Analysis of Hypochlorite, Chlorite, and Chlorate Ions When Hypochlorite Ion Is Present in Large Excess", Anal. Chem., 1995, 67, 535-540.
- Griese, M.H.; Kaczur, J.J.; Gordon, G. "Combining Methods for the Reduction of Oxychlorine Residuals in Drinking Water", J. Am. Water Works Assoc., 1992, 84 (11), 69-77.
- Gordon, G.; Cooper, W.J.; Rice, R.G.; Pacey, G.E. Disinfectant Residual Measurement Methods, American Water Works Association - Research Foundation (ISBN 0-89867-617-7) Denver Colorado, Second Edition, 1992, 889pp.
- Gordon, G. "Redox Reactions and the Analytical Chemistry of Chlorine Dioxide and Ozone", CHEMICAL OXIDATION: Technology for the Nineties, W.W. Eckenfelder, A.R. Bowers, J. Roth, Editors, 1992, 157-170.
- Tachiyashiki, S.; Gordon, G. "The Kinetics and Mechanism of the Formation of Chlorate Ion from the Hypochlorous Acid - Chlorite Ion Reaction at pH 6-10", Env. Sci. and Tech., 1991, 25, 468-474.
- Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 17th, Ed. Published by The American Public Health Association, The American Water Works Association, and The Water Pollution Control Federation, Clesceri, L.S.; Greenberg, A.E.; Trussell, R.R., Editors, Gordon, G., Section 500. Ozone (Residual), pp 4-162 - 4-165, 1989. Gordon, G.; Kieffer, R.G.; Rosenblatt, D. "The Chemistry of Chlorine Dioxide", Prog. in Inorg. Chem., Lippard, S.J., Ed., 1972, 15, 201-286.